Pupil Premium is received from central government according to the number of students on roll who have been entitled to Free School Meals at any time in the last six years or who have been looked after continuously for a period of 6 months.
Use of the Pupil Premium: Academic Year 2016 – 17
Pupil Premium is received from central government according to the number of students on roll who have been entitled to Free School Meals at any time in the last six years or who have been looked after continuously for a period of 6 months. The funding is provided to enhance the education of the most socio-economically deprived, ensuring that they benefit from the same educational opportunities as students from wealthier families.
£935 was received per student in 2016 – 2017; currently 44% of our students are eligible for the Pupil Premium although we believe the number entitled to this funding is far higher.
GCSE Results 2016
In summer 2016, students in Year 11 entitled to the Pupil Premium achieved the following results:
|Disadvantaged||All||All||Other / Non-disadvantaged|
|Number of students||99||230|
|Progress 8 Score||-0.23||0|
|Average Attainment 8 Score||45.99||50.1||49.34||52.56|
|% Achieving English Baccalaureate||16||23||24||29|
|% Achieving a good pass in English & Mathematics||68||73||62||69|
During the last six years, the Academy has used the resources from the Pupil Premium to assist with the following programmes:
- The delivery of the curriculum over 28 hours per week; three hours more than the statutory requirement. This allows for targeted teaching and particularly a focus on achievement in English and Mathematics. For core subjects, English, Mathematics, Science, IT and Religious Studies there are at least nine teaching groups.
- Subject specialist LSAs to support learning in all Learning Zones; again this allows targeted teaching and one to one intervention where necessary. It is not our philosophy that students are withdrawn from class as this is not inclusive. It is far better to teach less able students in small groups with high quality LSAs.
- A significant amount of funding has been directed to the Inclusion Learning Zone, which includes the Learning Mentors and partner agencies. These are the people who have greatest direct contact with our vulnerable students and it is essential that they have the experience, time and expertise to work with students and families.
- As from 2016, we have five members of the teaching staff who are trained to deliver the Sound Training Programme, to initially boost the literacy levels of our EAL Pupil Premium students.
- Enrichment activities are vital to vulnerable children and we have a significant number who arrive in school by 7am and who do not leave until they are told to at 6pm. Many students are involved in enrichment activities which range from Drama, PE and DT to Debating and Frisbee. Others choose to use the ICT suites to do their homework and a large number use the Table Tennis tables which were purchased three years ago and have been a fantastic success.
- Targeted revision classes both after school, at weekends and during the holidays are fundamental to the success of our students particularly those who do not have the facilities to work well at home. Individual students are identified and every effort is made to ensure that they attend these classes.
- During the summer holidays, Sports and Art schemes have been run for three weeks for students commencing in Year 7. These schemes are financed by the Academy.
We are never complacent about the needs of the community we serve and we are always looking for ways to ensure that the wealth of educational opportunities we offer are accessible to all our students.
In September 2013, The Academy made a new post Assistant Principal: Progress & Intervention; the post holder now has oversight of targeted groups of students including those supported by the Pupil Premium. This includes the support for HOLZs in the tracking and monitoring of these students at the three reporting stages of the year. For our KS4 students especially a fantastic set of examination results and raised aspirations give our Pupil Premium students the best start to their adult life.